SO our Thanksgiving was pretty awesome. Mom in law, Ofelia, cooked dinner and my mom and Keith came over to join us. We had a good time, took some good pics and laughed a lot. We spent the night there so Demetrius could go Black Friday shopping with his mom and sis. I had absolutely *zero* interest in joining them so I stayed home with all the kids. They did get some pretty great deals...more power to 'em! ;)
Sunday morning my mom, Nessa and I went to my cousin Kathy's house to visit with my great Aunt Ruth and Aunt Polly before they left for home again. We managed to catch Brenda and Aunt Ruth before they left for home in Yuma. It was so great to see them again. After they left, my Aunt Linda came over and we all stayed to visit with Aunt Polly...who's had one heck of a difficult year with all the losses she's suffered. Her spirit is still light, however, even though she is obviously lonely without Uncle Kenny. She told us that a couple years ago she and Uncle Kenny had given their Prescott cabin back to the UCYC camp after their 50 year lease was up. Without Uncle Kenny there with her, I guess the solitude is a bit much. So she's considering moving back to Phx into Christian Care (Indepenent/Assisted Living facility) possibly in Feb. The news stunned me.
I mean, I know Life Happens, Things Change, and all that other jazz...but I guess I thought the Prescott cabin would be around forever for us. It's the one place that will always feel like home, no matter how far from it we go. My parents honeymooned there....we spent weekends up there as kids, and then family reunions there. I guess I thought my kids would have the same opportunity as we did, to have that same feeling of nostaligia every time we went up there. Knowing last year was our last family reunion up there nearly brought me to tears (and I don't think it's simply because I'm so hormonal! lol ).
We chatted with Aunt Polly for a couple hours and reminisced about Grammy. It's a difficult holiday season for all of us, having lost Grammy, Uncle Kenny and Matt. But....Life Goes On, no matter how tragically cliche it sounds, and we still have to Pick Up The Pieces and Carry On.
So the kids and I will bake our holiday cookies this year with my mom instead of Grammy.
I'll attempt to make the infamous Bailey/Whitt Cinnamon Jelly.
I'll give the kids their yearly ornaments in honor of Grammy.
And, perhaps most painful of all, I'll make Dominic's baby blanket instead of Grammy. I'll carry on her legacy by telling him how wonderful, loving, and strong she was...how she influenced me to not only endure life's hardships, but overcome and learn from them. How she influenced me to trust that God has a plan for everyone and everything and God will always provide for His children...no matter how bleak and desperate the situation seems, He will always pull us through.
And, last but not least...............how much she would have absolutely adored him.
1 comment:
I didn't know Aunt Polly was moving back to Phoenix. That is so sad that I missed the last reunion up in Prescott. Just goes to show how much you have to take advantage of every moment while you have it.
Post a Comment