Friday, September 25, 2009

Remembering When......

My mom had some old pictures from our 2007 family reunion, the last one where almost everyone showed up. Below are pictures of Matt (tall guy in the blue shirt holding the soda) and his dad, Wayne and a group of kids in the backround getting ready for a trip to the Tubs.


This is the last real picture of Grammy and her siblings and their spouses all together. Standing is Aunt Polly and Uncle Kenny, Uncle Dean and Aunt Nancy. Sitting is Grammy and Grampa and Aunt Ruth. I know Grammy and Uncle Kenny are in a better place now....but what I'd give to have one more day with them....
That was the yr we just had Donovan. He was only about 6 weeks old. Grammy and Kathy put together a baby shower for us. Below is Grammy (always the organizer! She kept track of who gave us what), Aunt Ruth, Carol (Matt's mom), and Kathy (Matt's Aunt). The next picture is the beautiful quilt Aunt Ruth gave me. It was originally pieced together by my great gramma, Nannie, and then tied and finished by Aunt Ruth. Ruth knew how much I love things with history and thought I would appreciate it more than anyone.


I've never been one to adjust to change easily. I have a hard time of letting go of the past. I don't deal well with loss. I can hear the holidays around the corner and I know it's going to be the most difficult one yet. Last night I went to visit my Grampa for the first time since my Gramma died. I've had a hard time gathering up the courage to go see him, knowing that I might break down at the sight of him surrounded by her pictures and hurting inside too. But I managed to keep it together. The kids were excited to see him...and "Papa" had a dollar each in quarters for them so they could get an icecream cone from McDonald's (which we did!). Donovan, who is usually timid and shy in front of "strangers", was unusually giggley and affectionate with Grampa. He held his hand and even kissed him! ;) Grampa told me how much he misses Grammy, how he wishes he could keep the family together and the ache in his eyes broke my heart. We stayed and chatted for a while. I promised to come see him again soon and bring him some pictures of the kids to add to his collection. We all gave him tight hugs and plenty of kisses. We left and climbed into the car and then I broke down. Demetrius hugged me and the kids were respectfully quiet, asking gently only once if I was "ok". Yes, I told them, I'll be ok. I just miss my Grammy.
Then we drove to McDonald's and bought our icecream treats, courtesy of Grampa ;)
I suppose all I can really do is keep up our family traditions, as painful as it'll be without Grammy, start some new ones, and just enjoy the time we have with our families.
To all my friends and family,
Love you all

No comments: