Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Shack by William P. Young

I began reading this book believing it was a true story. When I discovered otherwise, it was a bit of a disappointment.
My mom passed it on to me with very little description and at first I was only mildly interested. But page after page I found myself unable to put it down until I completely finished. Several times I had to stop mid-sentence because of my tears.
It made me weep on one page and fueled my anger on another...it filled me with joy and hope....and, ultimately, it transformed my heart.
I find myself thinking about God in a completely different way...more as a true friend and Father instead of someone I can only read about in a book (the Bible). I find myself talking with Him more throughout the day and wanting to better myself in ways I didn't think I could. I even find myself viewing others in a more compassionate and tolerant way.
The Shack is about a middle-aged man with five children who suffers a great tragedy with his youngest child. Devastated and torn apart, he struggles wildly against God until three years later. He has an experience with God's unconditional, unwavering love that tears down his bitterness, fury, and raw pain until he is able to see the light.
I think this book really hits home for parents and especially parents that have lost a child...or anyone in general who's suffered through tragedy and wondered -

WHERE does God fit into the pain and evil and suffering of this world?

So while I may have been disappointed at first that this book is fiction, it doesn't change the fact that my heart is still transformed for the better and I still see God in an entirely new light. A few questions have been answered and for the first time ever, I truly and whole heartedly believe that God is not only my God, but He is my friend, my Father, the love of my life.
Even if you consider yourself "non-religious", I suggest reading this book!

Because it's not about "religion" or any of the boundries people place on God....it's about His never-ending love for us and who God really is...and, of course, where He really is.

No comments: