SO I had NO IDEA what I was in store for when I walked into my mom's house last Saturday...
My husband, Demetrius, was planning a "secret" day for just the two of us for my 30th birthday (last Sat., 12-20). I was pretty excited, since it had been a while that the two of us had gone out alone, and he insinuated we had reservations at a nice place neither of us had been to. The plan was to drop the big kids off at my mom's, and Donovan at Demetrius's mom's. The day started off pleasantly enough...a lazy morning in which Nathan and Demetrius left the house for a few hours, refusing to tell me where they had been. (I figured getting me a last minute birthday gift, LOL). Then Nessa and I went shopping for something new for both Demetrius and I to wear (being the obvious girl I am, I bought us both nice green tops to wear so we'd color coordinate, hahahah). Home again to get ready and around 6 we headed over to my mom's. Since we were running a tad bit late, Demetrius insisted I call her to tell her we were on our way...I rolled my eyes and said, "Oh, she knows we'll be there." Still, he stubbornly insisted. Sighing, I relented and called her. She sounded a little funny on the phone, like when she's trying to lie or hide something, and asked me to come inside to get my birthday gift. Rolling my eyes again, impatient to be on our way, I agreed. We arrived and went inside. The kitchen was dark but I thought nothing of it. I admired their Christmas tree for a couple minutes (which, I have to say, I've never seen a tree as FAT as theirs!), then walked into the kitchen to see my "gift". The lights flickered on and camera lights flashed, nearly blinding me, and a chorus shouted gleefully, "SURPRISE!!!!"
I stood there in shock as my eyes adjusted to the light and the sea of familier faces surrounding me. I couldn't believe that I literally had NO IDEA that my husband planned such an elaborate event without me having any inkling as to what was going on. (Then again, since I'm in La-La Land half the time, I'm sure it wasn't that difficult....LOL)
Sure, I noticed he wouldn't let me have the cell phone very often, and all the text messages were deleted every day, and he often seemed quiet and distant, and stayed up late by himself at night, and hardly spoke to me for two weeks...but I just thought he was just having an affair! HAHHAHAHAHAHHA JUST KIDDING!!!! Seriously though...I did notice all those little things but attributed it to some really insane, cool birthday gift he was planning. I thought maybe dinner at the Compass Room or a hot air balloon ride...certainly nothing as surprising as a Surprise Party! ;)
The party was great, we had lots of food and my best friend Shayna decorated with an awesome picture of my at my Bachlorette party looking hilariously wasted. OH....and the beautiful cake featured a "lovely" picture of me! I remember exactly when it was taken; nearly a month ago, when my conniving husband asked the kids and me to make our funniest, most goofiest face for the camera. So we did and mine was definitely the goofiest.
So guess which picture he chose to put on the cake....
You guessed it....my funniest, most goofiest face.
THANKS, HON!!! ;)
We had cake and ice cream and I opened presents, just like when I was a kid! Hahahha I really have to say, this ranks on my husband's Top Ten List of Sweetest, Most Wonderful Things He's Ever Done. ;)
A great way to ring in a new decade of memories...
But MAN DO I FEEL OLD!!! hahhahahah
Thanks to everyone who was there and for those who couldnt make it....well, there's always my 40th Birthday! ~Hahahahha~
Merry Christmas to everyone and hope everyone has an awesome holiday!
Love you all!
~RACH~
No comments:
Post a Comment