Friday, November 28, 2008

DJ's Surgery Update / Thanksgiving / Nessa Vs. The Scorpion

DJ's Surgery Update
We took him to John C Lincoln Deer Valley by 7:30AM for the pre-op stuff (registration and all that good stuff). It had been a rough night, since Donovan is still used to getting up for a bottle around 5 and he wasn't supposed to have anything to eat or drink after midnight. But we managed and thankfully he slept the entire way to the hospital. He was pretty cranky and irritated with everything, but managed to smile a little and even play some ball with Dad. Around 8 we were called back to a room where they took his vitals, we signed more paperwork and waited for the ENT. Dr. Rizzo finally came in around 9:30 and told us we had been pushed back a bit due to an unexpected neck surgery that morning and there were still two other kids ahead of us. He apologized profusely, and said he would get to us as soon as possible. By that time Donovan was ready to go back to bed and he was really hungry. 10:00 rolled around and finally Dr. Rizzo was ready for us. This was IT. My stomach churned uneasily and even Demetrius looked tense. Donovan clutched his blanket (well, really it was mine that my Grammy made me and that I loved as a kid), layed down on the hospital bed and looked up at us with such sleepy eyes. The nurse began to wheel him out of the room, assuring us he would be fine. We walked with him, the whole time his head craned to the side so he could see us, his eyes never leaving our faces, until we reached the waiting room doors, where we stood anxiously as the nurse continued on with him down the hall, rounding the corner. He didn't cry (although I teared up!) Out into the waiting room we went where my best friend Shayna waited for us too. I was so relieved to see her. We talked non-stop, which helped ease my mind off of the ticking clock. It was relatively quick; 15 minutes later, Dr. Rizzo was approaching us, still in his scrubs and his masked pulled down off his face to his neck, looking calm and confident. He crouched down to us and told us Donovan was fine; his adenoids were insanely huge but his tonsils were not as big as he first thought, which meant he would probably be fine with those. DJ was fine, there were no complications and he was still sleeping. The nurse would call us when he started to wake up so we could be there. Twenty minutes later, they called us. I gave Shay a quick hug, thanking her for being there to distract me, and then we rushed off to see our baby. Once we went back to recovery, DJ was held by a large, male nurse who was surprisingly gentle and rocking him in a rocking chair. When he saw us, he immediately handed him over with a kind smile. Demetrius was kind enough to let me have first dibs ;) Poor bubba couldn't even keep his eyes open; I continued to rock him in the chair. His left hand still had the IV in it and was completely taped up, which DJ whimpered and moaned, holding out his hand as if begging us to take it off. Crusted blood caked his nostrils and the corners of his mouth but otherwise, he was A-OKAY. We waited about 15 minutes and then were released. DJ still hadn't fully woken up and they warned us he would probably be sleepy all day. I had to look away while they untaped his hand and took out the IV (which was like, 2 inches long!), and then I held him while they wheeled us down in a wheelchair and Demetrius went to pull the car around. At home, he was awake for a little bit but cranky and slept again. He took three naps that day before going to bed for good. They gave us antibiotics for him as well as Tylenol with Codine, which we did give him.
He breathes like a new kid.
A little snoring, but his breathing is nearly silent at night. Amazing!!!!!!!! I was so excited that first night! And grateful....the poor kid is finally able to breathe through the night! No more halting breathing or lack of breathing...no more sleep apnea....still a little restlessness but instead of moving around every half hour or hour, it's only once or twice a night that he moves around. YAY!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!! / Nessa vs. The Scorpion
Happy THanksgiving to all of our family and friends!! Hope everyone had a great day!! =)
We had our family over to our house instead of taking Donovan out. He was still a little grumpy and not his usual self so it was good we didn't have to leave. My mother in law, Ofelia came over Wednesday night and spent the night so she could cook dinner the next morning. We had a huge, fabulous meal with his mom, my mom, Yesenia (sis), Brittanie (neice), my mom's boyfriend, Keith, and then the 5 of us. It was nice! Lots of food, yummy pies, and good time spent with the family (minus the stupid football that was on ALL DAY...~LOL~).
Well, that morning, as Demetrius cooked breakfast, Nessa was in the kitchen. She went to walk over to the table to sit down when she started crying in pain. I was in the bedroom so I didn't think it was serious at first; then I heard her scream, "It's crawling! It's crawling!" I jumped up and ran out there, where she was holding her foot, screaming and crying, reeling in agony. Demetrius was looking at the floor, yelling, "What? Where?" Until he took a step back and saw the damn thing on the floor between his feet. He jumped back, along with everyone else, and I scrambled to the other side of the kitchen so I could get to Nessa. Demetrius grabbed a pair of tweezers and brazenly picked up the scorpion by the tail and took it outside, where he ripped the tail off and it scrambled away. Nessa couldn't stop moaning and crying so I picked her up (at 7, she is quite heavy now!) and carried her to the living room to examine her foot. Sure enough, the bastard had stung her good. The spot looked like a bee sting and was swollen and puffy. She cried that it was stinging and burning. I grabbed some ice, wrapped it in a paper towel and placed it on the sting. All I could do was hold her and try to comfort her. The next few hours were agonizing for her. I called Poison Control to verify what I knew could help her; pain reliever, a cool compress, rest, and time. The ice ended up doing more damage than helping. As soon as I took it off she started screaming again because it hurt so bad. I carried her to my room and turned on cartoons, hoping to distract her. Not even a bowl of ice cream could help either. Eventually, after about 4 or 5 hours, the pain faded to a numbness and tingling and an uncomfortable feeling. But, at least the agony of it was gone. Nothing I could do except try to comfort and distract her. Poison Control said she will probably have the numbness and tingling for a few days, maybe a week. We'll just have to wait and see.
Like I said before....DON'T EVER MOVE TO AUTUMN RIDGE APTS!!!!! We've been here 6 months and two of my three kids have been stung by damn scorpions!!!!
On a side note: I've begun actively searching for my half sister, Jessica. We share the same biological sperm "donor" (~LOL~) and she was whisked away to Oklahoma when we were kids (probably to escape my wonderful "father"). I haven't talked to her since I was 10; all I have is a picture of her when she was 3....it's nearly identical to my 3 yr old picture. You can hardly tell the difference between us then. I think she's 2 or 3 years older than me but not sure. They say it's "easy" to find anyone with the internet these days....yet I can't seem to come up with one good solid lead for her! Arg!!

No comments: